Nov 30, 2013

Eternity - A Modern Take on The Double Wedding Ring



Eternity - My Modern entry for NYC Metro Mod Quilters Double Wedding Ring Challenge. Once I started playing around with the EZ Quilting Double Wedding Ring Single Arc Template - I came up with many different ways of using it. So many options, decisions, decisions! I wanted to create dimension and texture. I thought "What if I cut a straight piece of fabric and gather one side of it?" More on that in this previous post. I loved the circular shape created by joining 4 single arcs together. I interlocked these to create a chain and echoed this chain in the quilting. I appliqu├ęd the rings and concealed the raw edges with elastic. Not a very traditional quilting fabric I know, 6mm bias binding was not available to me at the time and elastic was the next best option! This quilt measures 42 1/2" x 55".



Story behind the design and the quilt's title - This year we are celebrating ten years of marriage and the joining (linking) of families who have known each other for 50 years or more. Our Maternal Grand Parents were good friends who painted, vacationed and gardened together. My husband and his family visited me in hospital when I was just 4 pounds something. Needless to say he wasn't very interested in his future bride at the time. I have wanted to make a quilt representing our union and love - this is it and I am in love!




A huge thank you to all who organized and sponsored this challenge and also to those who have entered their amazing quilts. 

Edit - Things I discovered while making this quilt.








2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing your initial progress on this when you participated in the blog hop over the summer. Both then and now I was intrigued by the thought process behind the design -- gathering, fussiness, perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah - having our family and friends together for our wedding was something that really struck at my core. I wanted to recognize that.

      Delete